Plus Size Fashion: Curvy Girl Myth Busters
By: Mommy In Heels
I am going to take a page (or several) from the September issue of InStyle. If you haven’t grabbed your copy yet- head out now and get it! It is a must have!
As I was reading through the magazine, I came across an awesome article debunking “plus-size” (or even curvy) fashion myths. I was intrigued. Gabi Gregg, of GabiFresh did an awesome job writing it- if you haven’t been to her blog yet, you have got to check it out. She is just amazing! (we could all learn a thing or two from her beautiful self esteem) She has awesome style and is absolutely gorgeous too!
How often do we hear that horizontal stripes shouldn’t be worn by a certain build or over the top prints should only be worn by stick figures? A lot. Or at least I do. That’s what “they” always say, right? Who are “they?” I often wonder that! (Not just in a fashion sense, but with everything- I wonder if there is a massive room somewhere filled with boring, expert type people known as “they.” I know- random thought)
Here are five of the ten myths she chatted about:
HORIZONTAL STRIPES MAKE YOU LOOK WIDER
- It’s important to find the right width of stripes
- Thicker stripes are best for curvy women (its proportional)
- Very thin, very close, stripes tend to have an enlarging effect
- Wrong-leggings are for everyone
- Find leggings that have detail like leather accents- provides slimming effect
- Flowy/loose fitting tops are best to pair with leggings
- Also best if it hits mid-upper thigh
- Stilettos elongate you!
- Be aware of shoes with ankle straps- they can cut you off (does that even make sense to you?!?!)
- Monochromatic looks help elongate (black tights, black shoes, nude tights, nude shoes, etc)
- You don’t have to emphasize your waist 24/7
- When wearing a loose fitting shift dress show off your legs – choose a hemline at the knee or higher
- Also choose a fun design! That can make the shapelessness less boring!
- If you wear a mini, just make sure to cover up more on top! (save the crop top for another day)
- If you are anything like me and don’t like your legs, just cover up with some tights! This season is all about thick tights and ankle booties. They are the perfect pairing with mini skirts!
So there you have it, ladies! Just because you are curvy or plus size does NOT mean you have to sacrifice your fashion. Gabi shares some more myths in the article, so go get your copy now and read the rest. I am telling you, this girl has got talent and smarts!!