It has been a while since I came to you. I have been unable to write. Not that I didn’t want to. Every time I sat at my computer and began to type I got stuck. For the life of me I couldn’t understand why. I have had so much to say about the plus movement but I just couldn’t put it into words. I have finally realized why, I had trouble finding my voice.
Finding your voice in the movement can be challenging. Many want to categorize my perspective as purely fashion related but get confused when I speak about policies that seek to discriminate because of size. Others want to include me in the activist circle but since I once aspired to be a plus model and have connections in plus fashion, they are not sure how I can speak about sociopolitical views as it relates to people of size.
Here is what I believe:
- I believe that fighting for equal representation in fashion is important, necessary and vital to the growth of the plus agenda as a whole. It is in itself a form of activism that can have significant global economic impact. We have not yet learned the power of our collective voices. Once we speak to the bottom line, which is always the almighty dollar, then more notice will be taken
- I believe that the importance of loving who you are has been been trivialized. It is a journey to self love, a process that can not fully be changed by getting a new outfit. It starts with changing the conversation in your head, looking at your self in the mirror and loving the woman you have grown to become with no clothes on.
- I believe that if losing weight is the best choice for you then you should do it. Your rationale for arriving at that choice should be void of societal pressures, negative perceptions of you from others or the latest weight loss quick fix. It is a personal choice that is not for anyone to scrutinize. Loving who you are means that you make the right choices for you.
- I believe that diet fads are destructive and lead to a lifetime of quick fixes that never lead to the result you want. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle is the only way that you can be healthy, the right way. For some, changing their lifestyle to conform to the latest diet trend makes them take a closer look at unhealthy choices, making them realize they can achieve the desired result before making 4 easy payments of $29.95.
- I believe that plus entertainment and plus empowerment are 2 distinctly different things. Say you decide to join a plus size group that encourages you to wear a g-string and perform for people. That group is not promoting empowerment initiatives and it is not in itself empowering. It is entertainment, in most cases Adult Entertainment. Please learn the difference.
- I believe there is a way to bring both the fashionistas and activist together.
- I believe that I am always a work in progress, ever evolving. I believe that we all should be.
If I can bring awareness to a demographic that seemed impermeable before then I will be happy. Supporting the plus movement in the way that I know how will be the only way I can live in my purpose. I will not profess to know the answers to all the equations. I just know that I am driven by a need to connect to my community and to serve in the best way I can, in my own voice.