The holiday season is over and if you’re like most people you probably received a few gift cards in addition to your gifts. In fact, eight in ten holiday shoppers planned to dole out gift cards for the 2011 holiday season. With gift cards being the most requested present for the fifth year in a row that’s to be expected.
Shopping expert Pamela Pekerman has some great tips on how you can redeem gift cards in a way that helps you stretch their overall value.
- Redeem gift cards online rather than in crowded malls, and avoid shipping fees! Sign up for a FREE 30 day trial of ShopRunner and get FREE 2-day shipping on every purchase, with no minimum order size
- Don’t let that gift card go to waste! Be sure to check the expiration date so you don’t miss out on the opportunity to use the card. If you’re not going to use it in time, sell your gift card on Swapagift.com or http://www.ebay.com, or donate to charity before it’s too late
- Get the most out of that gift card! According to Dealnews, shoppers can score big at post-holiday sales with some retailers offering post-holiday discounts of up to 88% off! Look for online coupon codes to further stretch your gift card dollars. A simple Google search prior to visiting a retailer’s website can often help lead to a great hidden deal found only on the web
- Stack deals! Make sure to monitor the websites and social media pages of your favorite retailers. Many will offer exclusive offers that will help shoppers stack deals and make that gift card go even further
- Don’t be in a rush! Depending on what you’re shopping for, it might be best to wait for Presidents’ Day or Valentine’s Day specials. Planning ahead will help save you from last-minute shopping stress
- Regret your purchase?! Not a fit? Not the right color? ShopRunner also offers FREE easy returns with their new ReturnRunner service; simply print a label from the ShopRunner website and put the package in your mailbox