Macy’s recently announced its aggressive ‘back-to-school’ efforts which hopes to position the retailer as the shopping destination for tweens, teens and college goers, for the new school year. The robust initiatives include the launch of ‘Material Girl’ by Madonna and her daughter Loudres, a teen plus size fashion brand, exclusive ‘Glee’ – branded product, a new mstylelab sitelet for teens, and a partnership with Microsoft for an exclusive preview of the revolutionary Kinect for Xbox 360.
Macy’s Back-to-School Trend Report:
Fashions run the gamut from masculine and feminine, to dark and moody, to folk and native designs. Rich tactile fabrications and function details reference outdoor utility dressing within young contemporary this fall.
- Boy Meets Girl: Layering of multiple elements in varying fabrications and textures, from gender bending to ultra-feminine, a glamorous yet moody appearance.
- Tough & Tender: Taking over the young contemporary area, this offers both soft and feminine elements paired with strong tailored pieces, instilling a vintage-inspired mood through the use of texture and tones of dusty pink, slate blue, ash grey and mustardyellow.
- Fleece, Please…: Soft fleece fabrications give way to strong structured jackets and feminine tops this fall. Elements of lace, girly bows and mesh detailing keep things light, fresh and effortless.
What’s new for Back-to-School
From the runway to the closet, Macy’s continues to offer the hottest trends from celebrity designers to updated essentials including new exclusive collections like:
- Glee: Inspired from the newest American sitcom, ‘Glee’ branded t-shirts and hoodies will hit exclusively at Macy’s stores nationwide. Retailing from $19.99-34.99.
- American Rag Plus Size Collection: A line extension for American Rag, this collection will feature plus size pieces for the girl who craves fashionable and trendy clothing, designed for her body type. This collection will feature interesting contrast linings, touches of embroidery, subtle shine, bits of lace and smocking details. American Rag Plus will retail from $19-115 and will include everything from denim and dresses to jackets and wool coats.
New celebrity collections for Juniors
- Jessica Simpson: The singer, actress and designer is extending her current Jessica Simpson collection from shoes, handbags and jewelery, to ready-to-wear items for juniors. The line will range in price from $29-49 for tops to $69 for denim.
- Kouture by Kimora: Celebrity fashion designer Kimora Lee Simmons recently launched the new line exclusively at Macy’s stores nationwide. Geared toward the global juniors consumer, Kouture by Kimora offers chic fashions aimed at the budget fashionista, Prices range from $24-40 with styles including retro jackets, off-shoulder blouses, fun rompers and flirty dresses.
Macys.com/mstylelab.com: On August 12, 2010, Macy’s will be launching a sitelet dedicated to teens. Combining pop culture topics with fashion, mstylelab will host fashion videos with the latest trends, ‘word on the street’ content featuring Seventeen Magazine Editor-in-Chief Anne Shoket, as well as a ‘post your pics’ section that enables users to post images of themselves to see what’s fashionable across the country. This unique space will host the launch event for the Kinect for Xbox 360 software