How to repurpose Thanksgiving leftovers in 30 minutes or less with 3 versatile recipes
It’s the day after Thanksgiving, you’re standing at the refrigerator staring at the leftovers and don’t have the slightest idea of what to do with all the leftover turkey. What do you do?
Turkey can replace chicken in many recipes. As you wonder how to make the most of your turkey leftovers this year, turn to this turkey trio of easy meals that take 30 minutes or less to cook- Turkey and Black Bean Wraps, Turkey Veggie Casserole in Easy Bake Shell and Turkey Tacos with Cranberry Chipotle Sauce. These recipes will remind you of Thanksgiving foods, but with a special twist.
TIP: Freeze cooked, boned turkey in portions by wrapping in aluminum foil and sealing in a freezer bag, then thaw and chop what you need for a recipe.
Turkey and Black Bean Wraps
PrepTime (min): 10
CookTime (min): 7
Prep Tool: Stovetop
· 8 Mission® 96% Fat Free Heart Healthy 8 inch Soft Taco Tortillas warmed (Available in grocery stores nationwide)
· 2 medium Tomatoes chopped
· 1/2 cup canned Black Beans rinsed and drained
· 4 tablespoons canned Green Chiles sliced
· 1/3 cup Green Onion sliced
· 1 tablespoon Cilantro chopped
· 1 package Spices and Seasonings for fajitas
· 1/2 cup Water
· 3 cups cooked Turkey shredded
1. Combine tomatoes, black beans, chilies, green onions and cilantro; set aside. 2. In large skillet, combine seasonings and water; bring to a boil. 3. Add turkey and reduce heat. Fold in tomato mixture and cook on low for 5 minutes, stirring often. 4. Scoop 1/4 cup of the cooked mixture on each tortilla. Fold in sides and roll-up to serve.
Turkey Veggie Casserole in Easy Bake Shell
PrepTime (min): 15
CookTime (min): 30
Prep Tool: Oven
· 6 Mission® 6 inch Small Flour Tortillas (Available in grocery stores nationwide)
· 1 tablespoon Margarine
· 1 cup button Mushrooms sliced
· 1 clove Garlic medium, minced
· 1 10 ounce can condensed Cheese or Broccoli Cheese Soup undiluted
· 1/2 cup Sour Cream
· 2 cups cooked or leftover Turkey cubed
· 1 cup cooked Broccoli Florets fresh
· 1 cup sliced, cooked Carrots
· 1/2 cup sliced Green Onions
1. Lightly brush six 1 cup custard cups or small oven-proof bowls with softened margarine. 2. Shells: soften tortillas by warming briefly in skillet or microwave, and then gently push tortilla into cup or bowl and place on baking sheet. 3. Filling: sauté mushrooms and garlic in 1 tablespoon margarine. Stir in soup and sour cream, blend well, and add turkey, broccoli, carrots and green onions. Remove from heat. 4. Spoon 1/2 cup filling into each tortilla shell. Bake at 375 degrees F for 20 to 25 minutes until filling is hot. Carefully remove shells from cups and serve.
Turkey Tacos with Cranberry Chipotle Sauce
PrepTime (min): 15
CookTime (min): 15
Prep Tool: Work Surface, Stovetop
· 12 Mission® 96% Fat Free Heart Healthy 8 inch Soft Taco Tortillas (Available in grocery stores nationwide)
· 3 cups cooked Turkey cut into strips
· 6 cups Mixed Greens
· 1/2 cup Candied Walnuts
· 2 Oranges zested, minced
· 1 cup Sugar
· 1 pound Cranberries, frozen whole
· 1 tablespoon Chipotle (canned), pepper and sauce, pureed
· 2 tablespoons Orange Liqueur such as Grand Marnier (optional)
· 1 tablespoon Mint, Fresh chopped
· 1/4 teaspoon Cloves Ground
· 1/4 teaspoon Ginger, Ground
1. To prepare the sauce, zest one orange and set aside. Juice both oranges, pour juice into a saucepan. Add the sugar and bring to a boil. Add cranberries, orange zest, and chipotle. Turn down heat and simmer until cranberry skins burst.
2. Remove from heat, and stir in orange liqueur, mint, cloves and ginger. The sauce can be made ahead and reheated before serving.
3. To prepare tacos, cut leftover turkey into 2” strips and reheat (microwave). Place approximately 1/4 cup turkey in each warm tortilla, top with evenly divided cranberry sauce, greens and walnuts.